Silicon Beach @ USC
Tutor Campus Center | University of Southern California | October 29, 2014
See the 2014 Event Program here.
What is Silicon Beach @ USC?
The rise of technology startups in the Los Angeles area, combined with unique access to Hollywood’s entertainment studios and creative talent, is creating a new hub for entrepreneurship. Industry leaders are increasingly referring to this intersection as ‘Silicon Beach’ and the University of Southern California will play a significant part in shaping a vision for its future.
Led by the USC’s Marshall School of Business, School of Cinematic Arts, and Viterbi School of Engineering, the University of Southern California will host its third annual Silicon Beach at the University of Southern California [SB@USC]. SB@USC is a two-part event: a competition for new ventures pursuing opportunities in new media platforms and digital content and services, and a conference featuring game-changers and thought leaders from Hollywood studios, technology startups, and academia scheduled for October 29, 2014 on the USC campus.
Could your startup use $25K? Silicon Beach Awards Venture Competition
USC is providing a very special opportunity for startups. Led by the Lloyd Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies and the Institute for Communication Technology Management (CTM), USC’s Marshall School of Business will host the third annual Silicon Beach Awards, a $50,000 venture competition focused on innovation in technology & entertainment. The Awards are a key part of the Silicon Beach @USC event which is co-sponsored by USC’s Marshall School of Business, School of Cinematic Arts, and Viterbi School of Engineering.
About the Silicon Beach Awards
USC’s Silicon Beach Awards provide recognition for innovation in digital media and technology.
ELIGIBILITY: New ventures focused on technology or entertainment are welcome to compete. Entering teams must have at least one current USC student (graduate or undergraduate), USC faculty member or at least one USC alum less than 5 years from graduation. PRIZES: Significant cash prizes will be awarded to the top 3 teams: First place: $25,000, Second place: $15,000, Third place: $10,000.
- Apply to the Silicon Beach Awards by submitting a completed application packet (using the application form), Applications must be completed no later than 5:00 PM PDT Monday, October 6, 2014. Teams may make changes to/resubmit the application until the deadline. The form can be found at SiliconBeachUSC2014.istart.org.
- An information session will be scheduled for the week of September 22. The information session will include details on the semi-finals and provide additional materials for teams in the competition. Additional information on the session will be announced in the coming days on the Marshall and siliconbeachusc.com websites.
- Semi-finals. All eligible applicants will compete in a preliminary judging round on Oct 22. Finalists will be chosen following this round, and will be notified no later than Oct 24.
- The Silicon Beach Awards finals will be held on the USC at the Silicon Beach @ USC conference on Oct 29.
- Coaching sessions: Finalists will be eligible to participate in coaching sessions with the Lloyd Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies during the week of Oct 20.
- Silicon Beach @ USC Conference Oct 29. Winners will be announced at the SB@USC event on October 29. To be eligible to win, all finalists must have at least one member in attendance on the 29th. Exhibition space may be available on-site for finalists upon request.
Please note that USC will record the the Awards finals and the SB@USC event. Also, applicants will be interviewed for Silicon Beach @ USC communication materials.
For more information on Silicon Beach @USC, including attendee and press registration, additional venture competition details, and sponsorship opportunities, please contact USC at 213-740-0980 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
VIDEO: Silicon Beach @ USC Winners’ Circle: Hive Lighting One Year Later
With the deadline for the Silicon Beach Awards venture competition around the corner, we checked in with last year’s runners up – Hive Lighting – to see how they’re doing, and how participating in in the venture competition last year affected their business.
Silicon Beach @ USC Conference: October 29, 2014 – Tutor Campus Center, USC Campus
The Silicon Beach @ USC conference will be a day-long event featuring rising leaders in entertainment, technology, new media platforms, entrepreneurship and investment. Sessions will explore the collision of the technology and entertainment businesses, the rise of new ventures taking advantage of traditional Hollywood content and new media platforms, and opportunities for innovation and new ventures in the industry. Presenters will also discuss the unique advantages of launching new initiatives in Southern California.
This year we will also host the final round of the Silicon Beach @ USC venture competition during the conference, and provide exhibition space for competition finalists and a limited number of supporting companies.
For more information on Silicon Beach @ USC, including attendee and press registration, venture competition details, criteria for judge and presenter selection, and sponsorship opportunities, please contact Jay Tucker at 213-740-0980 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org