Silicon Beach @ USC
Tutor Campus Center | University of Southern California | October 7, 2015
2015 Program here!
(See the 2014 Event Program here.)
What is Silicon Beach @ USC? The rise of technology startups in the Los Angeles area, combined with unique access to Hollywood’s entertainment studios and creative talent, is creating a new hub for entrepreneurship. Industry leaders are increasingly referring to this intersection as ‘Silicon Beach’ and the University of Southern California will play a significant part in shaping a vision for its future. Led by the USC’s Marshall School of Business and AT&T, the University of Southern California will host its fourth annual Silicon Beach at the University of Southern California [SB@USC]. SB@USC combines a competition for new ventures pursuing opportunities in technology and media with a conference featuring game-changers and thought leaders from Hollywood studios, technology startups, and academia scheduled for October 7, 2015 on the USC campus.
Could your startup use $25K? Silicon Beach Awards Venture Competition
USC is providing a very special opportunity for startups. Led by the Lloyd Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies and the Institute for Communication Technology Management (CTM), USC’s Marshall School of Business will host its fourth annual Silicon Beach Awards, a $50,000 venture competition focused on innovation in technology & entertainment. The Awards are a key part of the Silicon Beach @USC event which is sponsored by USC’s Marshall School of Business.
About the Silicon Beach Awards USC’s Silicon Beach Awards provide recognition for innovation in digital media and technology.
ELIGIBILITY: New ventures focused on technology or entertainment are welcome to compete. Entering teams must have at least one current USC student (graduate or undergraduate), USC faculty member or at least one USC alum less than 5 years from graduation. PRIZES: Significant cash prizes will be awarded to the top 3 teams: First place: $25,000, Second place: $15,000, Third place: $10,000.
1. A kickoff information session about the competition will be held on September 10th at 3 pm to provide an overview of the competition and answer any questions.(Location: USC campus, Dautrieve Hall, Lower Lobby room 101)
2. Teams must submit applications for the Silicon Beach competition. Applications will be accepted through September 16th at midnight. The form can be found and edited at http://siliconbeach2015.
3. A mandatory training session for all teams that submitted a completed application will take place on September 22nd at 3:00 pm. Additional information that teams will have to complete in order to continue on to the semi-finals will be disseminated at that time. Attendance is mandatory in order to present at the semi-final round. (Location: USC campus, Dautrieve Hall, Lower Lobby room 101)
4. The semi-final round will take place on September 28th at 6:30 pm. Finalists will be notified by October 1st. (Location: USC campus, Popovich Hall, ELC Rooms)
5. The final round will be held at the Silicon Beach @ USC conference on October 7th. (Location: USC campus, Ronald Tutor Campus Center, Main Ballroom)
For updates on information session locations, speakers and more please like the Silicon Beach at USC Facebook page.
Please note that USC will record the the Awards finals and the SB@USC event. Also, applicants will be interviewed for Silicon Beach @ USC communication materials. For more information on Silicon Beach @USC, including attendee and press registration, additional venture competition details, and sponsorship opportunities, please contact USC at 213-740-0980 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
VIDEO: Silicon Beach @ USC Winners’ Circle: Hive Lighting
With the deadline for the Silicon Beach Awards venture competition around the corner, we checked in with 2013’s runners up – Hive Lighting – to see how they’re doing, and how participating in in the venture competition last year affected their business.
Silicon Beach @ USC Conference: October 7, 2015 – Tutor Campus Center, USC Campus
The Silicon Beach @ USC conference will be a day-long event featuring rising leaders in entertainment, technology, new media platforms, entrepreneurship and investment. Sessions will explore the collision of the technology and entertainment businesses, the rise of new ventures taking advantage of traditional Hollywood content and new media platforms, and opportunities for innovation and new ventures in the industry. Presenters will also discuss the unique advantages of launching new initiatives in Southern California. This year we will also host the final round of the Silicon Beach @ USC venture competition during the conference, and provide exhibition space for competition finalists and a limited number of supporting companies.
For more information on Silicon Beach @ USC, including attendee and press registration, venture competition details, criteria for judge and presenter selection, and sponsorship opportunities, please contact Jay Tucker at 213-740-0980 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Presented by AT&T and USC Marshall